Since hypertension is encountered frequently by pharmacists in all practice settings, a thorough grasp of this condition is vital to providing the best patient care. This application-based continuing education activity provides brief active learning exercises that will help you stay current on all aspects on hypertension management. Choose the topics that interest you or complete all exercises to attain 2-hours of continuing education credit.
Upon successful completion of this application-based activity, pharmacists, should be able to:
1. Demonstrate appropriate blood pressure measurement technique.
2. Select appropriate therapy for a patient with hypertension based on the 2017 ACC/AHA guidelines.
3. Describe the differences between major hypertension treatment guidelines in terms of blood pressure goals and agent selection.
4. Describe appropriate blood pressure goals and strategies for optimizing blood pressure therapy in the elderly.
5. Discuss considerations to optimize the management of hypertension in patients with diabetes.
6. Describe treatment approaches to hypertension in patients with chronic kidney disease or heart failure.
7. Review non-pharmacological treatment strategies for hypertension and their place in new guidelines.
8. Differentiate between the management of hypertensive urgency and emergency.
Rebecca Stauffer, PharmD, BCPS
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
St. Louis College of Pharmacy
Initial Release Date: 06/04/2018
Expiration Date: 06/04/2021
CEI is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Participate in the webinar using a reliable high speed internet connection, and then logon to the CEI website to complete the exam* and evaluation located in your online portfolio. Once successfully completed, click on Submit CPE. You can access your CPE statement of credit at www.MyCPEMonitor. net. Participants will view the presentation on their screen while listening to audio through computer speakers; telephone access also available if needed.
*CEI provides you with two (2) opportunities to complete the exam. If there are two failed attempts, the participant will not receive CPE credit.
Financial Support: There was no financial support provided for this activity.
Activity Fee: This activity is available at no cost for preceptors and students from participating schools. An activity fee of $20 will be assessed for all others to determine successful completion and submission of credit information to CPE Monitor.