With an estimated lifetime prevalence of 13-16%, depression is a very common mental health disorder seen by pharmacists in all practice settings. With 29 different medications classified as antidepressants, a large "gray" area exists in choosing therapy and managing adverse effects. This activity provides guidance for several scenarios including choosing optimal therapy, switching between agents, managing treatment-resistant patients, antidepressant-caused sexual dysfunction, and risk in pregnancy.
Upon successful completion of this knowledge-based CPE activity, pharmacists should be able to:
1. Compare and contrast antidepressants based on pharmacokinetic parameters, adverse effect profile, and risk/benefit with comorbid disease states.
2. Design a cross-taper schedule for a patient switching between antidepressants.
3. Provide medication management recommendations for a patient diagnosed with treatment-resistant depression.
4. Recommend a treatment option for a patient with sexual dysfunction secondary to antidepressant therapy.
5. Evaluate the evidence for the link between antidepressants and autism spectrum disorder.
Jeremy Daniel, PharmD, BCPS, BCPP
South Dakota State University College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions
Sioux Falls, SD
Jeremy Daniel does not report any actual or potential conflicts of interest in relation to this continuing pharmacy education activity.
Initial Release Date: 01/02/2018
Expiration Date: 01/02/2021
CEI is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. To obtain 1.0 contact hours of continuing pharmacy education credit (0.1 CEU), participants must participate in the activity using a reliable high speed internet connection, and then logon to the CEI website (www.CEImpact.com) to complete the exam* and evaluation located in My Profile. Once successfully completed, click on Submit CPE. You can access your CPE statement of credit at www.MyCPEMonitor.net. Participants will view the presentation on their screen while listening to audio through computer speakers; telephone access also available if needed.
*CEI provides you with two (2) opportunities to complete the exam. If there are two failed attempts, the participant will not receive CPE credit.
Financial Support: There was no financial support provided for this activity.
Activity Fee: An activity fee of $10.00 will be assessed for grading the exam instrument and issuing the CE Statement of Credit.